Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why Run?

I started running about 2-3 months ago for many reasons. Since then, I've badly sprained an ankle, updated my sneakers, shrunk half an inch, gone from barely running 1 mile to a 5K, and then a faster 5K then I originally ran.

I've also spent my time while running praying, contemplating Heaven and mentally pushing myself to take the next step when the next step seemed physically impossible. I've offered up the pain for souls in purgatory, thought about my own sorry spiritual state and spent this miraculously peaceful time hoping and ultimately choosing to trust in God above all things. Running has become a gift to me mentally, spiritually and hopefully eventually physically.

There is much that I'm boldly asking God for (the gift of another baby). I'm also asking to be content with His Will.

It is quite remarkable the way that running seems to produce the impetus to grow in other areas of my somewhat creative life. Running also eases emotional pain, busying my often idle mind with ideas of beauty, truth and just simple old loveliness that can't help but pop into my head when there are no written or spoken words to occupy my information weary mind. Not only am I contemplating certain fanciful ideas, I'm also carrying them out.

Quilting will always be a passion for me with the simply phenomenal selection of fabrics designs that now provide unlimited opportunities for the imagination. That said, if you talk to me about robins, butterflies, blossoms, flowers, trees, streams and rivers something inside me comes alive. Maybe this is why I love Charlotte Mason philosophy in education. I glory in seeing nature in a profusion of color, intensity and wonder. And then I love the natural world in its delicate subtlety that draws out the attentiveness and wonder hiding in your soul. So how wonderful would it be to record all this loveliness that seems to provoke - of course - love in my soul through more than just quilts and poems. My truly inspiring husband suggested photography to me and now I am currently knee deep in the how too of SLR photography.

The camera of course will have to wait. By the time it arrives, I hope to be well versed in theory and avid to put it into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment