Monday, January 6, 2014

Weekends with Chesterton: A Christmas Carol


















I'm thrilled to be able to join you all - thank you Sarah for starting this! I discovered Chesterton recently and haven't read too much. I love that he is a writer in so many genres and as a lover of poetry, I have been thrilled to use some of his poems for my personal edification as well as for memory work with my son. One of my personal favorites is this one:

A Christmas Carol

The Christ-child lay on Mary's lap,
His hair was like a light.
(O weary, weary were the world,
But here is all aright.)

The Christ-child lay on Mary's breast,
His hair was like a star.
(O stern and cunning are the kings,
But here the true hearts are.)

The Christ-child lay on Mary's heart,
His hair was like a fire.
(O weary, weary is the world,
But here the world's desire.)

The Christ-child stood at Mary's knee,
His hair was like a crown,
And all the flowers looked up at him,
And all the stars looked down.

G. K. Chesterton

Doesn't this poem speak as clearly as ever to us now as it has in all history? The world is wearied by the burden of it's sins, and more than ever, we are all wearied from the onslaught of constant media. The stimulation of such varied forms of media regularly distract our hearts and minds from Christ in his first, second and third comings. I particularly love the parts in parentheses. How true are the words, "but here the world's desire"; and how sad that few realize it. Finally, all creation looked to Christ's first coming. The last stanza has simple, perfect words to demonstrate this. I too, as His creation, look at Him with the sense of wonder and awe that Chesterton espoused to his contemporaries and to us today.

5 comments:

  1. We memorized this at Christmas last year, and I really love it. Especially the last two lines: "And all the flowers looked up at him, and all the stars looked down."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was breathtaking. I have yet to dabble in Chesterton's poetry, but I know I'm going to love it when I do.

    I am so enjoying hopping around to everyone's contributions. This is fun! Thank you for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was looking for a Christmas poem to have the kids memorize and I do believe I've found it! The Christ-child stood at Mary's knee,
    His hair was like a crown,
    And all the flowers looked up at him,
    And all the stars looked down.

    Lovely. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful...the poem and your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I love meditating on this poem - especially the intimacy aspect.

      Delete