Sunday, October 11, 2015

Poetry is a gift

I am quite sure that if this world lost its treasure trove of poetry, many would experience deep enduring pangs within their chest. I am one of those people. I love verse. Words that punch the mind into some motion of thoughts.

We write to give voice to the joys of the spirit. We put words to paper to profess the joys of our souls. And then, we speak with the written word to let go of our griefs and sort out our confused minds so tainted by the fall. Then there is truth. Oh the joy of finding the greatness of Truth. Truth and beauty, a double helix unseen by many. Poetry helps us get the words out succinctly so that others might ponder such pearls. And yet the poetry makes us feel vulnerable, whether it is our own or glimpsing into the broken world of another.

In my high school years, although I barely recognized the inter-dependance of truth and beauty, I had a natural revulsion for anything that was not true. In some mysterious way it had to be beautiful and beauty as ordered in nature, was truth. 

I read A Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood on the orders of an enamored English teacher, and turned my nose up at the opportunity to watch the movie. I was punished for my act of defiance and seeming insult. Mary, the Mother of God, was far away from my mind at that time, but the Word, Truth, Jesus, was showing me glimpses behind the veil of true feminism and beauty. And A Handmaids Tale fell far from the mark.

Poetry became a boon to the interior life I didn't know existed in me. So for someone like me, flawed, struggling, existing only on God's grace, I discovered the sweet brevity of poetry to articulate and ponder ideas I could not understand until they were out on paper. And then the joys of finding the words of others who like me, taking hold of Grace to overcome self absorption ever present in our minds since the fall. Lifting our minds and hearts as creatures to our Creator, a never ending source of peace.

Broken, frail, but trusting in the mercy of God. Many of these writers seemed to live out faith and hope. Some of them became saints. Some crawled into the specter of death on their hands and knees. Some chose to abandon their Creator and let their minds stumble over the weeds that had grown up around them.

I have the joy of many wonderful collections of poetry. A favorite is The Book of Living Verse compiled by Louis Untermeyer. The following belongs to Gerard Manley Hopkins

The Habit of Perfection

Elected Silence, sing to me
And beat upon my whorled ear,
Pipe me to pastures still, and be
The music that I care to hear.

Shape nothing, lips; be lovely-dumb;
It is the shut, the curfew sent
From there where all surrenders come
Which only makes you eloquent.

Be shelled, eyes, with double dark
And find the uncreated light:
This ruck and reel which you remark
Coils, keeps, and teases simple sight.

Palate, the hatch of tasty lust,
Desire not to be rinsed with wine:
The can must be so sweet, the crust
So fresh that come in fasts divine!

Nostrils, your careless breath that spend
Upon the stir and keep of pride,
What relish shall the censers send
Along the sanctuary side!

O feel-of-primrose hands, O feet
That want the yield of plushy sward,
But you shall walk the golden street
And you unhouse and house the Lord.

And, Poverty, be thou the bride
And now the marriage feast begun,
And lily-colored clothes provide
Your spouse not labored - at nor spun.


And then, too long to repeat here, The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson. Words do not exist to describe the story of this man from 19th century England. His poetry leaves me weak and tearful, humbled by my frailty before God. Ever dependent on His mercy and love.

3 comments:

  1. I remember back in my pre-Christian days reading The Handmaid's Tale and feeling that there was something deeply wrong in the book. Other books that had some sort of agenda also struck that same sort of cord, but I always shoved that response down and tried to applaud the works because I thought that's what I was supposed to do. It wasn't until I discovered that there is Truth that it all started to become clear. There's something about poetry that brings a deep peace to my soul. For some reason I particularly like epic poetry - I'm currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy with my daughter and Tennyson's The Princess. I also have a particular fondness for Edna St. Vincent Millay, although sometimes she reminds me a little too much of my former self. But her poem The Journey is an excellent antidote for my "get it done, get it done" hyper focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have Dante on my list to read and look forward to it. I will have to check out The Journey. Thanks for the referral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! BTW, I've been reading the Anthony Esolen translation and I would recommend it. The notes are particularly helpful in understanding the book in the Catholic Christian context Dante wrote the book in. Esolen quotes Aquinas quite a bit in the notes too, which is quite helpful. And the language is quite beautiful too, of course!

      Delete