I've always been a journal keeper of some type. Reading about the three pillars of keeping in Laurie Bestvater's book The Living Page has given me a good prod in the direction of regular keeping in a commonplace. It is a simple and yet effective approach to raising my ordinary thoughts out of the pedestrian monotony they frequently plod into.
Last year I read a book whose words left a deep mark on my thinking. I picked up The Martyrs of the Coliseum in a book sale and read the first two pages and was drawn right in. The consequence was that I could not put it down. All other books were neglected. I became a Roman citizen among the frenzied masses yearning for truth and becoming completely enamored by the heroic living and dying of these holy martyrs. These were real stories. Real people. Real miracles. Every chapter an inspiring story in itself. These were words - I decided - that could transform their audience, if they were allowed to do their job. By the end I was plotting how I would get the Author's other work, Victims of the Mamertine which was available but at an inordinate price. The stories are thoroughly researched and beautifully written in narrative form. An older student would gain much from both books in their history studies. Much to my delight Christmas deposited it on my pile and after finishing other reads I now have started it on my vacation here in New Zealand. From my commonplace...
The Church grew like a night flower that loves the shade; but the seed was sown; it casts roots secretly, like the acorn concealed under the surface; the soil, enriched by the remains of the saints and moistened by their blood, willingly received it.
The Victims of the Mamertine by Rev. A. J. O'Reilly
Linking up with Celeste and Keeping Company.
Thank you for sharing about this book -- I hadn't heard of it but it sounds fabulous!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love how you put this: "It is a simple and yet effective approach to raising my ordinary thoughts out of the pedestrian monotony they frequently plod into." Such a great way to describe the keeping process. <3