Friday, December 28, 2018

A new reading challenge



I've wanted to do a reading challenge for a long time and this one looks like a great fit for me. Its the first time I've organized myself properly to come up with a potential list, so here goes:

1. A Book on Early Church History.

Four Witnesses. The Early Church in Her Own Words by Rod Bennett. I read parts of this years ago but recently found it on my shelves and I look forward to reading this properly.

2. A Book About a Prominent Christian Who Was Born Between 500 A.D & 1900

This was easy! I have had Joan of Arc by Mark Twain on my TBR list for a long time! I anticipate reading this to the neglect of housework...

3. A Christian Allegory.

I decided on King of the Golden City by Mother Mary Loyola. This is an allegory for children that I read to my eldest in preparation for his First Holy Communion. I plan to reread it for my second son who will be receiving First Holy Communion this coming Easter. It is such simple, beautiful and powerful message that will benefit all who have an open heart.

4. A Book on Apologetics.

Many years ago I had a failed attempt at Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. I'm hoping that with some time and (hopefully maturity) I will appreciate this book better.

5. A Philosophical Book by a Christian Author.

This Christmas my husband chose to gift me Nostalgia by Anthony Esolen. I've loved everything by Esolen so far. He is very refreshing.

6. A Missionary Biography or a Biography of a Prominent Christian.

Having recently witnessed the incorrupt heart of St John Vianney, I chose his story from my children's Christian biography book section The Cure of Ars by Milton Lomask.

7. A Seasonal Book

I found Joy To the World, The Forgotten Meaning of Christmas by Isaac Watts and Paraclete Press this year for our composer study. It is a treasure! I will be rereading it for Advent and Christmas of 2019.

8. A Novel with a Christian Theme.

Excited to put Anna Karenina in this spot.

9. A Good Old Detective or Mystery Novel.

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. I am not a big mystery novel reader. In fact, I've never read one. This will be interesting.

10. A Substitute.

My Battle Against Hitler by Dietrich Von Hildebrand is a second option in the Christian Biography category that has me very interested as well.

Also, I have Wendell Berry's Hannah Coulter in my reading pile for next year.

I'm excited! Can't wait for 2019.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big mystery or detective person either. I still haven't made a decision about my pick. But I've heard that The Man Who Was Thursday. Maybe I'll look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I’m interested to see how it works out for me. I’m hoping I’ll find an affinity for it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lucy, I'm really enjoying looking at the variety everyone's coming up with for this. The Father Brown Mysteries by Chesterton are probably more approachable than Man Who Was Thursday but, having said that, my teenaged children thought it was great. Anything you pick by Chesterton would be interesting, though! Good to see an Anthony Esolen book up there. I've read two of his but not that one & will look forward to seeing what you say about it.

    ReplyDelete