Thursday, April 3, 2014

Building Cathedrals

All you who seek to honor these doors,
Marvel not at the gold and expense but at the craftsmanship of
the work.
The noble work is bright, but, being nobly bright, the work
should brighten the minds, allowing them to travel through the lights
To the true light, where Christ is the true door.
The golden door defines how it is immanent in these things.
The dull mind rises to the truth through material things,
and is resurrected from its former submersion when the light
is seen.

Aren't these words simply sublime? They are the words of the Abbot Suger who had them engraved on the doors of the Basilica of St Denis in Paris, France when he became responsible for its enlargement in the 12th century.

In a time with no electricity or even gaslights, bringing light into the church played a significant role in the design. Light was not just that seen in the creation of the sun, moon and stars; but also in the mind and intellect of man. A gift from God more valuable than any physical matter.

There are great minds from the middle ages who understood that. Certainly they could be rowdy and rough in contrast to our supposedly sophisticated lives. They were sinners, and they knew it. They knew the dignity of the soul; and they knew when they were walking away from Christ - or towards Him. The church as a center of the town was an ever present reminder of the purpose of life.


I am always struck by the reality that up until our modern period, the church was always the tallest structure in a town and was the center of the lives of its inhabitants. Consider the genius of the engineering, the importance of letting in light into the sanctuary and the collaboration on the details by the various craftsman who were true masters of their skill. They were not ignorant or stupid as some of my contemporaries assume.

Just look at the magnificence of the Basilica of St Denis above! They knew where to put their best efforts! Abbe Suger has powerful words for us 'moderns'. May I carry out noble work in my life like his craftsman did to point the way to the True Light.

2 comments:

  1. Lucy, catching up with you and your posts (as I often seem to do. I am so bad about getting behind on my blog reading.) If I look at it from a different perspective, I just imagine we are sitting down with a nice cup of tea and getting caught up with each other. :) Such a beautiful post. I had never considered the builders' designs allowing the glorious light in. Challenged to "design" and prepare my heart, my days to allow The Light into my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely idea to consider. Incidentally, I always sit down to read blogs with a cup of tea if I can.

    ReplyDelete